Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Christina's World

I love art. More specifically, I love paintings.
I especially love those painters who mainly use people as their subjects. Because it is so interesting to imagine the untold stories that hide within the colours and brush strokes.

One of my favourite paintings is "Christina's World" by Andrew Wyeth.


The first time I saw this picture I was absolutely intrigued by it. Something about it really struck me; I just wanted to stare at it and wonder.... What did it mean? Why is that Christina's world?
I later found out it was inspired by his neighbour who had polio. (Read more here.)
I almost wish I hadn't found that out. But I don't really regret knowing the truth. Because for me speculation is never as satisfying as fact. But still, there is something about not knowing... and being able to give your own meaning to paintings or poems.

Do you prefer to know the meaning behind things or are you content to see in them what you will?


No comments:

Post a Comment